Sunday, March 13, 2011

Our Day at the Rodeo


On Friday our whole family went to the RODEO! It was a much anticipated day by the kids and completely exploited by me to get them to do their chores, reading, and piano playing. The thought of not going to the Rodeo was so unbearable to them that I did not have to repeat my self once. It was a charm!

The first thing we did was the Mutton Bustin' Competition. Samuel was just old enough and light enough to qualify. What is Mutton Bustin? I still remember the first time I saw this competition, and I would describe my feelings as a combination of disgust and laughter. But the longer one lives in our neck of the woods, the more normal of an activity it becomes. If your kid is between the ages of 4 and 6, and weighs under 60 lbs, he or she should be at the Mutton Bustin'. A kid gets on the back of a sheep, the sheep is let loose, and the kid tries to hold on as long as possible. It is harder than it looks. Samuel was a little disappointed that he did not win first place, but he surely did behave like a winner after his spectacular fall. Here is our documentation of this great event:











No comments:

Post a Comment